If you're a coffee drinker, chances are you have a regular routine for disposing of your used coffee grounds. But did you know that those used coffee grounds can actually be put to good use? Here are 12 surprising ways to use used coffee grounds, from fire starters to plant fertilizer.
1. Fire Starters: Used coffee grounds make excellent fire starters. We simply mixed no more 5 ingredients to create the number 1 natural and sustainable fire starter. No wax whatsoever!
2. Compost: Coffee grounds can be added to your compost pile. They are a great source of nitrogen, which is an important element in the composting process. Just be sure to mix the coffee grounds in with other materials, such as leaves and grass clippings, so that they don't take over your compost pile.
3. Fertilizer: Used coffee grounds can also be used as fertilizer for your plants. The nitrogen in the coffee grounds will provide a boost of nutrients for your plants. You can either add the coffee grounds directly to the soil or make a compost tea by steeping them in water and then using that water to water your plants.
4. Pest Control: Coffee grounds can be used as a natural pest control for your garden. Ants and slugs are particularly susceptible to the strong smell of coffee, so scattering used coffee grounds around your plants will help keep them safe from pests.
5. Absorb Odors: Used coffee grounds can help absorb odors in your home. Simply place a bowl of coffee grounds in any room that tends to get smelly (such as the kitchen or bathroom) and let it do its job!
6. Hair Treatment: Coffee grounds can be used as a hair treatment to add shine and volume to your hair. Just massage them into your scalp and let sit for 10-15 minutes before rinsing out thoroughly.
7. Exfoliator: Coffee grounds make an excellent natural exfoliator for your skin. Just mix them with some olive oil or coconut oil and use them in lieu of your regular facial scrub or body scrub.
8. Iced Coffee Cubes: Tired of watered-down iced coffee? Freeze your leftover coffee into cubes and add them to your glass instead! They'll keep your drink cold without making it weak.
9. Brown Sugar Scrub: Mix equal parts used coffee grounds and brown sugar together to create an all-natural body scrub that will leave your skin feeling soft and smooth.
10. Make Art!: Believe it or not, you can actually use used coffee grounds to create art!
11. Soothe Sunburns - The caffeine in coffee has anti-inflammatory properties that can help soothe sunburned skin when applied topically.
12. Diminish Cellulite - Massage problem areas with leftover cooled brewed java mixed with sugar; rinse after 10 minutes; cellulite will appear dimmer over time due repeated treatments every other day for three weeks straight since caffeine dehydrates cells (temporarily shrinking their size) allowing tightening tissues easy access between fat cells leading to reduced cellulite appearance over time.
Let us know in the comments what other cool uses we've left out.
September 04, 2022